I’ve never been much of a sweets person. Especially bread. Or croissants, or muffins or parties in general. I would say I take after my mom in that perspective, she was more of a savory lover…or sour? Her favorite dish is probably ceviche, like the real kind from Peru. None of this “tomatoes in diluted lime juice stuff”. My dad on the other hand, he’s all about the carbs. When I was younger he kept the house well stocked with all kinds of delicious pastries and his ideal dessert was probably a good pie. Me, my idea of sweets is a handful of Skittles. I don’t even do Milk Chocolate! So you can imagine how weird it has been for me that during this last trimester, I have been desperate to eat pastries. I’ve done everything to put off the craving from eating fresh fruit to fruit popsicles which usually satisfy whatever sweetness I’m after but I couldn’t get a good muffin out of my mind.
The thought has been haunting me for weeks until I was Pinteresting the other day (yeah, I made it a verb) and came across a recipe from Sugar and Soul for Strawberry muffins. I would normally read through and pin it to my baking folder that I never really touch because baking is for special occasions but I realized I had all the ingredients EXCEPT STRAWBERRIES. And when that happens, I read through the comments and try to find somebody else who was desperate for a muffin and used “insert random fruit” and the flavors went well. Luckily, a muffin is a muffin so while I didn’t find anyone to justify my replacements, I used blueberries instead BECAUSE LIFE IS SHORT. I had blueberries in my fridge.
A few notes: For the blueberries, the recipe calls to have them folded into the batter, which I did after having lightly floured them. I was told they would suspend better after cooking instead of sinking to the bottom of the muffin. Also, the blueberries I used were frozen, and I left them on the counter to soften them up which created a lot of liquid. I would probably use fresh next time. I also used a standard muffin pan not a giant muffin pan. Or how I like to think about it, standard cupcake size. Cheers.
Blueberry Coffee Cake Muffins
Adapted from Sugar and Soul
Bakes 12 Muffins
- ¼ cup of Butter, softened
- ¾ cup of white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups of flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup of Milk (I used 2%)
- 1 ½ cups of blueberries (I used frozen!)
- ¼ cup of butter
- ½ cup of flour
- ¼ cup of brown sugar
- ¼ cup of white sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix butter and sugar in a mixing bowl.
- Beat in egg and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt.
- Slowly add the milk and the flour mix to the butter and sugar and mix until well combined.
- Lightly flour HALF of the blueberries and fold them in to the batter mix.
- Pour about 2 tbsp of batter into each muffin liner.
- Top with the remaining blueberries. (These don’t have to be floured)
- In a separate mixing bowl, mix all of the ingredients for the crumble. This one took me a while and I ended up using my hands to get a good crumble texture going.
- Top the muffins with the crumble mix.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Eat for lunch like I did! 🙂